Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Comics this week

Hey guys, let's get right into it because we have an old favorite finally making a return this week.

Avengers World 10
Still into this book. Everything I said last pre-game holds up. Interested to see where the book goes after last week's cliffhanger. Does it continue to jump from story to story or does it stick with Cannonball and Sunspot in the future? Also, if it's going back to the Falcon story (still not sure), we've heard some big news about Falcon since the release of the last issue, interested to see how his story plays now.

Hawkeye 19
HERE IT IS, you guys, HAWKEYE makes its triumphant return in an issue that promises to be the next dog-issue (referring, of course, to Eisner winning HAWKEYE 11) but this time with sign language. How are the Barton boys doing since we saw them last, several months ago? They've had pretty extreme violence done unto them and now we see where it leads.

New Avengers 21
Still really happy with this book every time it comes out. I'll admit it's faded a bit for me since the first arc or two but it's overall still a really great book. BY THE SAME TOKEN, if someone asked me "hey, what new Jonathan Hickman book should I pick up this week?" I'd say "well that's a specific question but, surprise, it's not one of the two Marvel books he has out this week, NEW AVENGERS or AVENGERS, it's one of the two Image books he has out this week, but it's not MANHATTAN PROJECTS, though that's a pretty good series too. No, I'd recommend EAST OF WEST 14, what a great series that is. Hope this answer wasn't just really confusing!"

Uncanny Avengers 22
Boy, but I like the the AVENGERS titles far more than the X-titles right now. This is a shift from the last full batch of X-MEN titles vs. AVENGERS titles (not to be confused with the event AVX) and I think we all know the culprit on that one. Anyway, UNCANNY AVENGERS has remained very engaging and very interesting and I expect it to stay that way as we start to wind towards a conclusion of this massive arc.

X-Men 17
I bet I threw you off with the last entry, hyping the AVENGERS books over the X-MEN books. Still, Brian Wood's X-MEN and Si Spurrier's X-FORCE are certainly books worth a look (particularly X-FORCE, which is worth more than just a look). I find X-MEN to be a pretty interesting read every time it comes out, though it benefits this week from an iffy release schedule and my laziness to go back and write in AVENGERS, CYCLOPS, or IRON PATRIOT blurbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment