Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Comics this week

We get a bit of a break this week as the new release total drops down to under 15 for the first time in what seems like the entire history of mankind, back to the very first cavemen who were forced to spend more than they wanted on comics every week because, you know, percentage-wise it's not that bad, considering how many books are out total. ON THE FLIPSIDE, this pre-game post traditionally chooses the top five books to look out for in the coming week and I literally only have three that I'm particularly concerned about (and one is kind of a push anyway, honestly). So let's take a look at two and a half books I want you to read this week and two others that are on this list because I hate breaking tradition.

Amazing Spider-Man 4
Is it me or has their been a drop off in production of this book? Actual physical production, not like, Peter Parker is less efficient than he has been. An easy way to check would be to look across my old blog posts but, well, we all know how likely I am to do that. Instead, I'll ask the question here, probably receive no answer, and go on with my life. Anyway, I like the directions this book can go in though I'm a little at a loss about the Electro story and the Black Cat story, which are, in fact, coming together now, so let's see if Slott manages to turn me around on those.

Daredevil 6
This is a really fun book, you guys. The last issue just came out, like, two weeks ago and explored the "death" of Foggy Nelson, a topic I hadn't anticipated, so just read my last pre-game for this book and transfer that praise on to this one.

Mighty Avengers 12
I don't want to write this series off entirely because it's shown glimpses of really innovative and exciting things. Of course, the fact that it's in the midst of an ORIGINAL SIN tie-in doesn't exactly warm my heart or, indeed, push me to recommend it more, but here we are. It won the lottery of "I don't care a lot about most of these books," beating out DEADPOOL which, somehow, almost never gets even a little bit of consideration. I've mostly enjoyed the book beyond the much hated (by me) first arc and yet it remains just kind of a comic that exists, not one that I'm particularly pumped about (though I loved the Declan Shalvey arc and I'm looking forward to a team-up between old man Steve Rogers and Deadpool). Anyway, MIGHTY AVENGERS: it's out this week (Marvel, you can use that catchphrase if you want it).

Original Sin 5.2 - Thor and Loki
Gah, another tie-in book to an event I'm not sold on? Geez, slow week. Anyway, big shifts coming for Asgard lore (and for Thor, as news broke last week) and the start to those shifts seem to be coming in this tie-in and did I mention it's a slow week?

Storm 1
My thought, you guys, is that this is a slow week, one where I, the guy who willingly writes reviews of every major Marvel release, am tepid on the majority of the books that are releasing, so you have no excuse not to buy STORM by Greg Pak and Victor Ibanez. Go check it out, support the rad X-Men leader in her first solo ongoing, and guarantee that Marvel keeps making it and keeps trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment