Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Comics this week

Another relatively short list for comics this week, this one going EVEN SHORTER than last (usually that means we're prepping for a couple heavy weeks in a row, which fits with the upcoming ORIGINAL SIN). Still easy to highlight the five to look out for most.

Avengers Undercover 3
Writer Dennis Hopeless won me over so completely with AVENGERS ARENA that this book has been on my radar since its announcement. Now that we're a couple issues in, it seems like it's living up to the standard set by its precursor. Obviously it'ss  till early and this is very clearly a different form than the other one took (this book placing our characters far more in the larger universe), but I'm happy to keep pointing to this one and recommending it.

Daredevil 2
Daredevil continues to make his way around San Francisco as this new series kicks off. Within one and a half issues, Waid has already established a bit of our new status quo. Still plenty left to learn plus the tease of Daredevil running afoul of another hero. Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, and Javier Rodriguez have done such a stupendous job with Daredevil over the last couple years and I expect this new volume won't be any different. Well, I mean, it'll be different but like, you know, it'll still be...you know what, I don't need to explain myself to you, you get it.

Elektra 1
I'm interested to see how an ELEKTRA solo title will work but I'm more interested in specifically how this ELEKTRA solo title will work, considering the phenomenal art that's shown up in the previews for this series. I don't have many expectations for this series so I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised or mildly annoyed! Ready for anything!

Iron Patriot 2
I'm being a grown-up by picking this one because it is certainly the more compelling pick. Like with ELEKTRA, I'm not sure how a full IRON PATRIOT solo title will work, though I think Ales Kot has made some interesting decisions to start out. So, though I am more eagerly anticipating the new THUNDERBOLTS, I'm being a grown-up and choosing IRON PATRIOT because it's the more interesting pick and I'm an adult and you should all, each and every one of you, be proud of me.

Uncanny Avengers 19
We're back to Planet X as reinforcements come to assist Havok and Beast in their attempt to stop the Apocalypse Twins from ever having done everything they've already done. This puts the audience in the dubious position of rooting for Kang and a bunch of other maybe-heroes because we totally want to see the Earth restored and everyone we like in comics brought back to life. It's another issue of UNCANNY AVENGERS so here I go, recommending it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment