Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Comics this week

Hey there everybody. Big week for Marvel and for for this blog in general as we get right to Captain America: Winter Soldier, the most anticipated Marvel movie since Avengers for some reviewers (guys, we're talking about me. We're ALWAYS talking about me). Fortunately, particularly after that whirlwind of comics last week, Marvel has chosen to give us a bit of a break so we can get out there and see that movie. Only fourteen new releases this week and even a couple of those are suspect (movie tie-in books and the like). Still, we're champions over here at Marvels (still talking about me) and a week where there are maybe ten legitimate books is still RIPE FOR THE PICKING for the five most anticipated books of the week (the key, everyone, is that they're just anticipated. I don't have to promise that they're good. Though, honestly, thinking about it, most of these ones are set to be).

Black Widow 5
Black Widow, star of the upcoming film Captain America: Winter Soldier, can also be seen absolutely destroying over in BLACK WIDOW, the amazing comic series from Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto. Join her this week as she goes for round two with her newest enemy, the Hammer of God Molot Boga. Guys, check this book out. I guarantee it'll be worth it.

Captain America 19
Captain America, star of the upcoming film Captain America: Winter Soldier, can also be seen dealing with a villain who won't be starring in Captain America: Winter Soldier over in CAPTAIN AMERICA. Dr. Mindbubble has already proven himself an interesting adversary and I think, as Cap nears a villain designed to counter people like himself, he's only going to get more interesting as things push forward. Remender's taken this book in some crazy directions already and Cap hasn't even had a moment to breathe, something that's been pretty key to the entire run and something that hasn't really happened like this since...well, since Brubaker's Cap-Winter Soldier run. Dude was off the chains then. I may secret review that whole bit at some point.

Inhuman 1
GUYS, it's finally here. After problems in the arrangement and release of INHUMANS, the first issue (following the now somewhat random issues created by Matt Fraction) is coming THIS VERY WEEK. Will the delays hurt it, now that it's coming out after even the slowest of tie-ins to INFINITY and INHUMANITY have all but passed (looking at you MS. MARVEL)? Only time will tell. The Inhumans are typically pretty interesting so it should be a good time to take a bit of a deeper look and sudden superstar Charles Soule seems ready to take us there.

Moon Knight 2
After a revealing first issue showed a little of what we can expect from this Warren Ellis-Declan Shalvey offering and I and I'm sure many others are dying to see what comes next. This book has the potential to really break some new ground and catapult Moon Knight up the ranks of well-liked characters, maybe even enough so to land him a role in Captain America: Winter Soldier (though, in all likelihood, that catapult will come too late to have an effect on a movie that was finished several months before the launch of this new series).

She-Hulk 3
I'll be honest, this one is up here and it's almost surprising to me. It's been a good book through three issues but there are a slew of both good and interesting books on this week's list. I think this one intrigues me in a lot of ways I'm not sure about. I've never been entirely sold on She-Hulk as a character, I'm not entirely sold on the art, I'm not entirely sold on the stories or the growing supporting cast. Thanks to all the "nots" in that sentence, it makes it seem like I'm not enjoying this book. I am though, which is what makes this book so interesting to me. I can't accurately cite why I'm really enjoying this one but I am. So it edges on to this list in front of books like NEW WARRIORS, PUNISHER, and MAGNETO because I'm so flummoxed by it. That's what you want to hear about a book right?


SUPER SECRET UNEXPECTED PICK
MOVIE TO WATCH FOR THIS WEEK:
CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER.

No comments:

Post a Comment