Saturday, February 9, 2013

Thunderbolts 4, X-Factor 251

Thunderbolts 4
Way (w) and Dillon (a) and Guru eFX (c)

The details of the mission that the Thunderbolts are on has become both clearer and foggier. On the one hand, we now know that the dictator of Kata Jaya was in the pocket of America at the start of his regime, though that didn't make him a good person. Then America left him, feeling they'd stabilized the region they way they'd wanted, and now the dictator has gone rogue and gotten his own mercenary in the form of Madman. Thunderbolt Ross led the team down in order to take out the dictator and stop his gamma-charged army. However, the indication that America was involved in the dictator's placement and the fact that Ross' plan involved the Leader in some capacity seems to have muddled the rest of the team's drive a bit. Punisher ended last issue by shooting the Leader in the head and this issue picks up with Red Hulk leaping off to try to save him (pouring lots of radiation on him because THAT'S just science).

Meanwhile, the dictator gives his whole backstory to Elektra before killing himself in front of her just as Venom shows up to save her. Punisher tapes a landmine to his chest and dives on to Madman as Deadpool distracts him. Exciting bits of action and intrigue in this issue, but it's hard to say where we'll end up and the plot is a little bogged down in itself. It could clear up pretty quickly, especially if we could ever figure out Ross' motives. All said, though, most of this issue was taken up with the dictator explaining the state of Kata Jaya and shooting himself, so not a lot to analyze in terms of team dynamic (which is particularly broken right now, as there is no trust in Ross and he's gone anyway). I imagine next issue we'll get something more intrinsic in terms of team building (if the team sticks together) or plot smoothing. Not much to say. I'm not a particular fan of Dillon's drawings, largely when he goes to faces. I think the bodies are fine and someone like, say, Deadpool is fine because there's a mask, but I've never liked the way he does faces. It's distracting. Also, he seems of the opinion that Punisher ought to be Sly Stallone and that makes me read Punisher as Sly Stallone and I hate myself for doing that.

X-Factor 251
David (w) and Kirk (a) and Milla (c)

There were some interesting developments in this issue but I'm still largely held down by my lack of affection for Wolfsbane. I just don't really care what happens to her and, while her son is innocent enough, I've certainly tied the two together. Overall, the plot is important because it involves hell-lords coming to Earth to destroy Tier and claim dominion over the other hells which could have reaching effects. The more interesting development to me, though, was that Darwin apparently discovered that, unbeknownst to most of the team, Monet is dying. We don't know what's happening with her and it seems clear that she is unaware, but Darwin brings it up with Layla who ALSO knows. So there's some intrigue for you. Also, Polaris doesn't want to go to the Avengers for help because she doesn't want to have to go to Havok. Worth noting.

Anyway, the hell lords have a deal in place that says whoever kills the seven billionth person born on Earth gets to be the hell overlord. Everyone still has their own hell but they kind of report to the winner. That's really what this is about. At first, I was reading it saying "geez, really? That's what this is? And the seven billionth person on Earth is the son of a super-powered person?" That last bit still holds true in disbelief but whatever, coincidence stretches far enough. After I thought about the "seven billionth person" deal, it made an amount of sense to me. At first I had said "that's not a great reason," but after some pondering I realized...well, it's still not a great reason. But it's not a great reason for a pretty decent reason. Some sort of higher being, a god-figure, seemed to hand this deal down to the hell-lords, who agreed to it. It's exactly the sort of deal someone based on, per se, the Christian God would have made. It's the whole idea of "hey devil, I bet that this dude Job stays true to me NO MATTER what you throw at him" or "I'm mad that humans are being jerks down there, I know, I'll flood the Earth!" It's very old-testament, this deal. So I forgive it. I'm still skeptical that it boils down to the son of a superhero but whatever, I'll live with it. If you get by that part of the story, it's a pretty good issue. Though I'm bored by Wolfsbane, I still think this team dynamic is one of the best in comics today. They function like a family, even after the last couple months have shaken their roster up a bit, and it's worth reading just for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment