Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fearless Defenders 1, All-New X-Men 7

Fearless Defenders 1
Bunn (w) and Sliney (a) and Gandini (c)

I have some high hopes for this book, but I'm a little nervous. This issue wasn't a stunning open, but a lot of them aren't. I think we set too much stock by the first issue of a series. There are some that will just blow you away (i.e., New Avengers, which is my permanent go-to for "how to make a comic book" in any stage) but plenty don't need to wow you right off because they're going to save that for the whole comic. I'd rather have a series that's consistently good than one that has a phenomenal first issue and peters out because it sold everything out with the punch. So don't judge this book only by the first issue.

That probably lowered expectations a lot about this issue. It's not a bad issue. It's just not phenomenal, either. I think there's a lot to build on. The character dynamic between two very different characters in Misty Knight and Valkyrie is enough to build a comic on, let alone adding characters like Dani Moonstar as we go along. Anyway, this issue finds Misty back in action after a stint running both a Heroes for Hire team and a Villains for Hire team (just...don't worry about it, okay? She's back and fully functional) and from other dark things in her life. She's now working freelance for a friend recovering ancient artifacts a la Indiana Jones (the book sure isn't shy about it so I won't be either). She runs into more resistance than she'd anticipated and is only able to come away with one piece, a sort of Asgardian messenger spirit statue that doubles as a music box that brings vikings back to life all around Misty and her archaeologist friend, Dr. Annabelle Riggs. Valkyrie shows up to aid in dispersing the vikings and gets made out on by Riggs (that felt a bit forced in there, honestly) and then reveals that the messenger spirit was explaining some things and its fingers were pointing at Valkyrie for this problem. So we have a plot, we have characters, and we have a direction to go. Now let's just let the book take us there.


All-New X-Men 7
Bendis (w) and Marquez (a) and Gracia (c)

This was another one that I thought went on a bit too long. I KNOW, it's just on Bendis books that I criticize this and maybe it's because I'm looking for it more in here, but we spent seven of this book's 20 or so pages in a bank while Scott found artifacts from his old life. High-five, bank lady, for a.) not stopping this guy who is right now being treated as a terrorist and b.) not figuring that the first person you told would tell the guards. That's suspension of disbelief. The best part of this issue was Mystique pretending to be Wolverine to get young Scott out of the bank unharmed. It's nice to see Mystique play that kind of role because we all know she plays dirty and her relationship with Wolverine probably gives her great satisfaction pretending to be him to get what she wants. I guess she just carries a fake copy of Wolverine's Avengers card where ever she goes. SUSPEND.

Otherwise, though, we see her telling Scott to go and lead his team and stop Wolverine's school. I can't complain about that, I think it's a pretty smart move on her part. I was even buying her act until she said a bit about Wolverine taking the school and teaching the students to become killing machines, which was the exact opposite reason Wolverine took the school versus Scott's "we have to train them to fight" mentality back after the Schism. Then I was like "hey wait a minute, that's not what...oh." Fair play, All-New X-Men. It does make you wonder how Scott will proceed. Will he ask anyone about Mystique? Will he find files on her and decide she was likely using him? Or will he set out on his own and listen to her? I will say, that's something that I think likely WILL happen but I don't think really fits his character. I know this Scott is reasonably upset that he's being treated as an outcast and a terrorist when he hasn't had that kind of mentality at all to this point in his life. However, the Scott at this point in his life should be the one dedicated to leading his team and to doing due diligence. One of Scott's defining characteristics was the sort of strategic leader. I find it a little hard to believe he wouldn't figure out who Mystique is and make his own judgment, especially considering the grown versions of Hank, Bobby, and Warren (albeit a bit different) all still reside at the school, which is called the Jean Grey School. Ignoring those facts, sure, maybe go off and incite riots based on Mystique's word. Whatever. Boys will be boys and all that.

Short aside, as I never talk about art enough, I really like Marquez's art in this book. This is the second straight book where I've actually noticed facial expressions and, in particular, eyes. This isn't to discredit any other artists Marvel has; I tend to like the great majority. Unfortunately, I come from a writing background and I tend not to focus nearly enough on the art aspect unless I'm really blown away (I tend to notice art more from people who have incredibly different styles, like Skottie Young or Filipe Andrade, or people who are incredibly efficient and just absolutely gorgeous, like Jamie McKelvie or David Mack). It's a problem I definitely have when I write this blog because I never want to ignore the artist but I almost always do. Regardless, Marquez's art really captures people very well, which is important to a book like this because it's all about the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment