Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Comics this week!

Ton of good comics out this week. Picking four I'm most excited about was easy. Picking the fifth from a pile of other comics I'm really excited about it not so easy. I'll let you know when I have it.

Captain America 4
I think I've probably said it enough but that won't stop me from saying it again. I really like this book. I trusted Remender and I trusted the character, but the premise was so different than any long-term Cap premise that I was still nervous. It's been great so far and I'm looking forward to it again. I also tend to waver on JRJR's art, but I think it's been pretty stellar so far in this series.

Captain Marvel 10
SPEAKING OF ART, I'm thrilled we get another issue of a terrifically written book like Captain Marvel with gorgeous and distinct art like Filipe Andrade's. This book would be on my pull list without Andrade because Kelly Sue's knocking it out of the park throughout Marvel right now, but Andrade's drawings and Bellaire's colors mean pick up this book.

Daredevil 23
It's impossible for me not to look forward to each Daredevil book this team has put out. On the heels of a particularly sad revelation at the end of last Daredevil, I'm more invested than ever. Foggy Nelson in trouble, maybe trouble Matt can't save him from? Of course I'm anxiously awaiting this book. Also, if I was to guess, it probably will have Daredevil in it. That right there is a pretty solid selling point.

Thor: God of Thunder 5
This book is wonderfully written and majestically illustrated. I've liked a lot of Thor books in the past, including Fraction's recent run and several JMS arcs. I remember the exact day I went from being annoyed by Thor (my first intro to him was in original Avengers comics, wherein he stopped every single problem because he was simply better than everyone) to loving Thor; it was off the heels of Civil War and he kicked the crap out of Iron Man without a problem, admitting he's been holding back. His godliness and his love and his rage were all there in force. It was pretty great. This book, though, this book better exemplifies Thor than I would have thought possible. Ribic's art is gorgeous and mighty. Aaron's story weaves together all of Thor's personalities (godinalities?) seamlessly. It's stunning.

Nova 1
This one is not set in stone. Well, it is because I'm writing it down so it's here and I'm far too lazy to go back and change it ever, if that was a risk. But I'm not as confident in this one as I am in the previous four. It was really between this, Indestructible Hulk, Avengers, Dark Avengers, and Superior Spider-Man. Eventually I went with this one because it's the one I'm most interested in. I like Nova as a character, but this is a new and seemingly younger Nova at the start of this new series. This worries me anyway, but it worries me more having seen the new Ultimate Spider-Man show, which I really dislike, even though I totally shouldn't (aside from the fact it's made for children; that's never stopped me before). A show about Spider-Man with Nova, Iron Fist, Cage, and White Tiger, along with every other bit of Spidey ethos? I should love it. But instead, everyone in it is pretty annoying and it makes it hard to watch. If that's the sort of Nova they're going to build here, I'm very skeptical. If it's not, the creative team is solid and Nova is a good character. This one is on my pull list for what it could be. Hopefully it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment