Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Comics this week!

Just a quick look at my five most anticipated books from Marvel this week.


Avengers Arena 4
I just can't help myself. I'm interested in this book. I was very on the fence at first, when I heard the premise. I'm not a huge fan of kid superhero books and I couldn't see Arcade being a serious villain. But this has been a pretty solid series so far. I found myself looking for it over the last couple weeks. Always a good sign.

Cable and X-Force 4
Two Hopeless books to start my pre-game picks with. Like Avengers Arena, I wasn't sure what to make of this book before I started reading it but I find myself intrigued by it every issue. The characters are solid enough that they make me want to keep reading, even if the book starts to stumble. However, there's been no sign it will yet, so fingers crossed.

Fantastic Four 4
It's too early to say whether I like this series or FF more so far in Marvel NOW! but the fact that we're having that discussion is a nice change. I like that this series is putting Marvel's first family out of their recent comfort area and into the depths of space. I also like the idea of a ticking clock behind them while Reed searches for a cure to his (and likely his family's) degeneration.

Secret Avengers 1
I haven't hidden my excitement for this book at any point and I don't intend to start now. I'm nervous about it, but I'm also thrilled about it. Worst case, I figure, we'll get a mediocre book featuring some great characters. Best case...well, that's something else. I trust Nick Spencer from what I've read from him, but sadly that isn't much. Still, the characters alone could carry this book. Hope the plot doesn't allow that to happen.

Uncanny X-Men 1
This isn't totally an "I'm super excited" recommendation. This is more a "oh boy, let's see where the X-Men go now" kind of recommendation. Recommendation, then, is a strange choice of words. It's a pre-game pick for the week because we'll just have to see how it goes. The X-Men always seem a little spread thin to me, particularly after M Day. I'm hoping that, in a world where mutants are restored, they won't feel so stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment