Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Comics this week!

We press forward with Marvel NOW! as my pre-picks this week include two number ones and one number 14 which is NOT really part of Marvel NOW! though it very well COULD have been Avengers 3 or FF 3 if I had gone that way. SPOILERS: I didn't.


Uncanny X-Force 1
I was more on the fence about this one hot off the heels of the last X-Force. Not because I didn't love the past X-Force; I think I've gone to some great lengths to prove how much I loved it. It was that love that made me skeptical about this X-Force incarnation. I didn't see how it could match up. We'll see if it does. Sam Humphries has done himself well to make me interested in interviews and the like and because Fantomex has come back. Previously, I had said "boy, I like Psylocke and Storm, but there's no one that REALLY draws me to this book" until they revived Fantomex and split him into three. NOW I'm really interested.

Winter Soldier 14
As a huge Cap fan, I am also a huge Winter Soldier fan. I'm also a huge Brubaker fan and this is his final Marvel book I imagine. He loves his own stuff and it's all great and, I'm sure, very freeing. Still, he clearly didn't take MY advice into account. So this is the end of that era, his time with his character at Marvel in his little corner of the universe finished, likely forever. I've loved his run here and with Bucky as a whole and I'm heartbroken tomorrow finishes the whole thing. I wish only the best for Jason Latour but that doesn't make this issue any easier. ALSO, it's probably going to be intense. Hopefully everyone's okay on the other side.

Young Avengers 1
This is another book I was trying to not be excited about simply because I don't want to feel like I need to spend millions on comics each week but BOY is that not happening here. I was, of course, foiled from the start by the fact that this is Gillen and McKelvie teamed up. I like Phonogram, I loved Journey into Mystery and I adore anything McKelvie has ever drawn. I'm interested in the team and I've greedily drank up every bit of "Meet the Team" Gillen has posted on his tumblr and I'm pretty gosh-darn excited. I trust this writer/artist team and I'm excited to see what they can do on a long-form Marvel book together.


Like I said, Avengers and FF could have been on this list and I'm happy for a handful of other releases, but these three are what I'm most looking forward to. Another good week from Marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment