Sunday, January 20, 2013

This week's picks

This week is maybe a little tiny bit boring for picks simply because they're all coming from my pre-game picks Tuesday. I would say it's a shame because there weren't necessarily surprises this week, but that's not true. It's just that, with the slate of books that came out this week, the strongest three were stronger than even I anticipated.

New Avengers 2
I'm going to keep talking about how excited I am about this book, okay? I'm really excited about this book. I think the personalities here are just brimming. I can keep feeling Panther's rage and Namor's arrogance. The art is beautiful and the faces are expressive. The coloring is perfect. It's good all the way around, guys. My girlfriend thought that Cap overreacted a little in this book, a little uncharacteristically. Even that, though, seemed rational to me. The guy's been against the Illuminati from the start and is only really willing to partake because he wants to represent the people and the people shouldn't be forced into "necessary evil." Still, this book asks questions like that and it doesn't have any signs of stopping. Off-topic, you can check out my girlfriend's representation of Cap and Wolverine over at her blog.

Captain America 3
So my bias might still be coming out here, picking Cap over other positive entries this week such as (but not exclusive to) Dark Avengers, Punisher: Nightmare, and Venom. I really do like what's happening in this book though. There's probably not another hero on Earth that's so associated with a place as Captain America is to, well, America. As I've said, he hasn't been written as an over-the-top patriot in a long while but the guy still wears a flag on his chest. He still recognizes that he's the symbol of America and Remender has taken him and put him in a place that isn't America and that has no knowledge of America. Remender's also stuck him with a kid and put him up against enemies he doesn't understand. A lot of things to love about all of this. Add to it that we're seeing lil Steve Rogers' background and this book is going places no other Cap run has. You should read it even if you're not a Cap fan (it legitimately might make you one, especially if you've passed him over as just an America nut) and you should definitely be reading it if you are a Cap fan.

Captain Marvel 9
On top of being another great issue of a very good book, I recommend this one over others this week because it is a perfect place to jump in. You get a good sense of who Carol is and who she hangs out with without needing to understand a big story around her. I think there were great character moments in issues prior to this but, aside from the first of either of the previous arcs, they require some knowledge of the ongoing plot. With this, knowledge of that plot doesn't hurt but it certainly isn't necessary. Also, Andrade's art is different than you'll see in almost all other comics and the pacing of the book keeps you wanting to read it but never wanting it to end. It's a pretty near perfect standalone issue and this book is definitely worth getting into. Like I said, this issue is the time to get onboard.



Well, that's interesting. All three of these chosen books were reviewed on the same day, along with Daredevil which I'd put somewhere in a recommendation pile, slightly below these ones. Look, I hope you're reading (and enjoying) all of my reviews but BOY they are long sometimes. Just, I guess, read Wednesday's if you're short on time. That's where all my picks came from ANYWAY.

Wait, just kidding, read all of them. They're all good?

Whatever. I'll see you tomorrow. Or you'll see me, I suppose. I don't see any of you, you're all just numbers. But I do love you. That is one hundred percent true.

1 comment:

  1. Love the positive review of Captain Marvel. Great book!

    ReplyDelete