Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Avengers and X-Men: Axis 3

Avengers and X-Men: Axis 3

The villains Magneto assembled show up and, after a bit of a back and forth grappling against Red Onslaught and a great deal of quips, they manage to subdue the incredibly powerful villain and his hero-hunting Sentinels long enough to allow Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange to cast their inversion spell and set things right again. How much effect did the inversion spell have? Well, that remains to be seen but BOY are the X-Men mad that the Avengers won't let them take the unconscious body of the Red Skull and suddenly young Evan is a full grown possible Apocalypse.

We're in the midst of an extraordinarily interesting World Series, one that pits the power of magic of the Royals against the power of "we win every even year" of the Giants. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe AXIS is following the Giants' path, albeit with a smaller sample size and presumably a worse catcher (I'm not sure who's catching in AXIS but boy that Buster Posey sure is good). I did not care for AXIS 1, I rather liked AXIS 2, and I'm back off-board with AXIS 3. I've had a lot of trouble over the last month or so with Remender quipping way too much and it happens again here. I buy it out of some of the villains, like Absorbing Man or Loki or Hobgoblin or even Sabretooth and Mystique (NOTE: my blog just tried to autocorrect "Sabretooth" to "Sabertooth" and now I'm TERRIFIED that it's done that every time I've written his name and I'm only just noticing it now. Geez, really bad couple years for that worry, given his prominence in this universe of late). The idea that Carnage even agreed to help was specious, let alone putting him out there and having him playfully (if threateningly) pal around with the other villains is crazy to me. Throw Enchantress and even Doom into that mix and I one hundred percent do not buy all this quipping. It might sound like a little thing but it's the first half of the padded-out issue and it takes you right out of it. Also, and this hasn't been a problem of Remender's before so I'm not sure who is to blame here, there's a lot of expositiony scenery chewing going on. Iron Man literally says to Deadpool at one point "you're an insane mercenary zombie married to a vampire" on the off-chance anyone reading this doesn't know who Deadpool is. That guy's not Beak, that's Deadpool, one of your very favorite characters to trot out into a book, maybe trust that he can sell his own appearance. It's harder to critique later in the book (though BOY do I have some problems there) because it's hard right now to say what is and what isn't an effect of the inversion spell, but the X-Men, across the board, freaking out that Cap won't let them take Red Skull's body on the off-chance Professor Xavier is back in control is actual insanity to me. Here's the deal: I'm a white, middle-class male, I have literally never needed a powerful figure to help change the world on my behalf. Mutants are, in this world, hated and hunted and Professor Xavier was often the shining beacon for mutant-human tolerance. I've never needed anything like that because the world bends to my whims, but I literally cannot understand this (keeping in mind, of course, that the inversion wave may be impacting things a bit). I can understand the X-Men wanting to find out if Xavier is back in charge of his own mind, even in a different body. But even the face of that current body is a Nazi monster who just MINUTES BEFORE tried to destroy the entire world and subjugate most of its people. Taking that body into custody until they find out who is who is maybe not so bad an idea. Also, Evan suddenly sprouting and becoming an Apocalypse-like figure baffles me. If I'm right and the inversion wave stuff is explained next issue (and explained satisfactorily), maybe I'll have my feelings about this event whip back around. But it'll take more than what issue two did to impress me a bunch.

Total Score: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment