Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Comics this week

No. I don't want to do this post this week. GUYS, I love this post. It lets me get hyped for the coming week. It lets me look at the comics that are coming and JUST pinpoint the ones I'm excited to read. Sure, it makes me look at a list that might include ALL-NEW X-MEN or FANTASTIC FOUR or whatever else I really don't want to read during the week, but I'm focusing on the books I'm most excited about. And, as if I needed another reason to love this post, it's short BY DESIGN. I only give a couple of refresher lines about why I like a book or what's happening in the book. It's the post where I allow myself to enjoy writing a little more and relax my own review standards a bit.

But this week I'm not even a LITTLE excited about the coming post. I played this game last week, a week with a handful of new books none of which I was particularly excited about, and I don't want to have to go through it again. There are twelve new books out this week. Five of them are tied directly to events (Two SPIDER-VERSE, two DEATH OF WOLVERINE, and one AXIS) and one more (ALL-NEW X-FACTOR) is a tie-in to AXIS. I usually highlight five books a week and I'm refusing right now to give more attention than I have to on events (getting really burned out and Skottie Young posted a teaser image for his variant cover for 2015's AVX event, something I really don't need to see, though, obviously, I loved his cover). That leaves me with six books to choose from, but one is MIRACLEMAN, which I've almost entirely stopped paying attention to; one is DEADPOOL'S ART OF WAR which I'm dutifully reviewing but otherwise ignoring based on the premise and the first issue; one is X-MEN, which is typically pretty good, but is also in the midst of an arc that I'm already deeming too long; one is LEGENDARY STAR-LORD, which I have very little interest in after four sub-par issues that feel squandered; and one is HULK, which I still have some issues with, thanks to the invention of Doc Green and Doc Green's mohawk (though I'm onboard with Red She-Hulk, who promises to show up this week). Quickly we're down to one book. So...

Rocket Raccoon 5
It's been great. Skottie Young is great. Jean-Francois Beaulieu is killing it on colors. Skottie Young seems to tacitly understand that being removed from the rest of the Marvel Universe and taking on a tone perfect for the characters and unique in this universe are keys to the success of this book. Even with the announcement that there's a new cosmic event coming, ROCKET RACCOON wasn't listed with the books tying into BLACK VORTEX (which I think will start being seeded in this week's LEGENDARY STAR-LORD, so that's another one you could chalk up to event tie-in). Brilliant idea, ROCKET RACCOON team. Absolutely genius. Keep up the good work. Please. Please keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment