Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Comics this week

So I use the same comic list every week to pull what books are being released and it very rarely, if ever, steers me wrong, which is nice because I haven't always had that luxury in the past. Sometimes, though, it looks a lot more imposing than it is. There are a TON of reprints coming this week, perhaps more than actual new releases. That means a light week for me (yay!) but a harder week for this post (totally worth it!). Let's get into it.

Death of Wolverine: Deadpool and Captain America 1
I told you, it's a light week. I'm not actually super excited about this book because I legitimately don't know what to make of it. Obviously we know it's a tie-in book and it's one that ties-in to the recent DEATH OF WOLVERINE mini, but it also harkens back to DEADPOOL's "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" arc, which remains easily my favorite arc of that book. Will this tie-in live up to the quality of that arc? Let's find out TOGETHER.

Deathlok 1
Full disclosure: I'm not really that excited about a DEATHLOK series. The character holds little interest to me (though I loved Deathlok in Remender's UNCANNY X-FORCE, the one who admitted to loving X-Force and was later easily cast aside by Magneto). However, in light of a short week, Nathan Edmondson wins me over here. As a very vocal supporter of Edmondson's BLACK WIDOW and less vocal but still somewhat vocal supporter of his PUNISHER, I'm happy to give this one a look.

Elektra 7
This book's great, it's a short week, you know everything I'm about to say.

Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration 1
A six-dollar celebration 75 years in the making, this book makes the list mostly because I want to talk about one of the segments, namely one that intends to explore what happened the day the Marvel Universe was born, written by FANTASTIC FOUR's James Robinson with art from DAREDEVIL's Chris Samnee, AKA a creative team I half-loathe and half-love. That's all I have to say about it.

Thunderbolts 32
THUNDERBOLTS comes to its conclusion after a run of a good couple years. A weaker-than-expected start from Daniel Way led to a fantastic Charles Soule middle and now we reach the final chapter of the first ongoing Marvel work for Ben Acker and Ben Blacker. I've enjoyed this book for quite some time now and I'm sad to see it go, though unsurprised. Looking forward to seeing where it leaves our team in the aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment