Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fraction leaving Fantastic Four and FF after their next issues

Bit of new news coming in that I could probably wait til tomorrow to say since I'm planning to review F4 tomorrow but Matt Fraction will be leaving both Fantastic Four and FF after their next issues (F4 12, next after this week's, and FF 11). I have rather a lot of faith in Marvel and their ability to replace talent on books successfully but I won't act like this doesn't sadden me. The reason given, as is stated in the article above, is that Fraction is leaving because his schedule is too packed as is (particularly with Inhumanity and other books coming up from Marvel). Seems legit. It's still unfortunate. Fraction's run on both books have been truly great and both books have a renewed sense of fun and of self-awareness. Fantastic Four has really gone back to its roots (in a lot of ways) and has established itself again as Marvel's first family, really making the book about the family and the problems they have. I'll be interested to see where the book goes, though I don't entirely know what the plans are and how they'll be presented going forward. Christopher Sebela (I believe; the article reports it as Selba but I don't think that's a person) is co-writing F4 11 (reviewed tomorrow!) and Karl Kesel will step into the book afterwards. Meanwhile, Lee Allred will pick up the writing reins of FF for issue 12, making the credits to the few issues they're all on Allred (w) and Allred (a) and Allred (c). Weird, you guys.

Still, pretty sad about this. Fraction is a shining star in comics and it hurts to have him leave a book that's been so good under his watch, let alone two separate books. Happy to give him a break, though. I'll allow it. At least it's not Hawkeye, am I right?



EDITED TO ADD: Not totally sure about this bit of news either (a cursory Google didn't find me anything) but Mike Allred says he's at least on the book to issue 16 but also said that he's there until "it's intended conclusion." Is Twitter trying to tell us that FF is done after 16?



No comments:

Post a Comment