Sunday, August 18, 2013

This week's picks!

For this week's post-game, I'm going to try to write the shortest blurbs I can (a function of me trying to see if it's possible to not write ridiculously long posts for everything I do and also of not having a ton of time today. Busy week, you guys!). Let's see if I can do it or if I drift into having too much to say.

Astonishing X-Men 65
Great wrap-up issue leaves us with an interesting new take on Bobby, the long-time jokester of the X-Men who now might be crazy. Also, Apocalypse Mystique is impressive but, you know, not that impressive.

Avengers Arena 13
A nice mix of old and new as Christos Gage makes us remember why we (in some cases reluctantly) loved Avengers Academy as Hank Pym investigates the missing kids only to be countered at every turn by a surprisingly well-prepared Arcade. A slew of cybernetics covered in Mettle's skin makes an appearance and GOOD GOD ARCADE IS INSANE.









Scarlet Spider 20
I am unapologetically a fan of this book and the two issue crossover between this and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up (guess what book is next on this alphabetical list) worked real well to showcase Kaine and Doc Spidey while also giving us a story worth reading. Can't have one on this list without the other (not always the case in a crossover) so here's the one and upcoming: the other.



Superior Spider-Man Team-Up 2
Chris Yost continues to impress with his ability at shifting into voice and this crossover was no different. His Jackal matches recent appearances perfectly, his Superior Spider-Man continues to match Slott's while still feeling its own thing, and his Kaine, while not so much an emulation, is still an interesting and different character. Solid crossover. Beat out Ultimate X-Men 30 this week, which was solid and a great lesson in how to pace an issue.












Thor: God of Thunder 11
Solid finish to what was a very good opening arc. This story has gotten a lot of attention from readers and other creators and it's well-deserved. I still feel it moved a little slow in the middle and I have my problems with the end of this issue (though it made room for a nice moment where Thor finds gods for a now godless world) but that still doesn't detract from the start of this issue and the start of the book as a whole. Esad Ribic and Ive Svorcina's art does wonders for the book, making it stellar each time out. Excited to see Aaron's Thor back on Earth next time out.

(not too bad in short reviews, but I can't help noticing that each review got just a bit longer than the last, EVEN WHEN I had a crossover event I managed to say more in the second one without saying things that were specific to either issue. Guh)

Best Cover
I rambled for a while this week about the great covers that came out so I gave a bit of a preview to this entry by talking about which covers I really liked in a week chock full of great covers but for me, it came back down to Astonishing X-Men 65, with its great colors and somewhat contrasting ideas. It's a perfect match for a story wherein Bobby recognizes his powers as godlike and the normally-calming blue background is a wonderful backdrop for such an aggressive image. Really beautiful cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment