Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Comics this week

I've been lulled into a false sense of security by non-crazy release weeks only to be completely thrown by the fact I have twenty books out this week. Yipes. There are bound to be some misses in there but we're fortunate enough to have plenty of hits this week, as well as a couple of bittersweet moments. Let's jump in.

Captain America 10
Cap, along with Sharon Carter and possibly Jet, depending on how she feels with Zola seemingly killed trying to save her, is on his way out from Dimension Z. This issue will likely show whether or not he makes it (safe bet that he does) and, most importantly, whether or not those with him make it and what the ramifications of everything involved with all of that are. This has been a stellar series so far and it's help up well over its first nine issues, which I found refreshing; a lot of books have started with a long arc like this one (Thor jumps to mind) and I don't think they've tended to sustain their energy throughout. This one has done a solid job, even when I went back to read through it. This is the last issue of this storyline and of John Romita Jr. as artist. Carlos Pacheco will jump on in 11 to help Remender with a new storyline (that sounds pretty interesting). Let's hope this one goes out as impressively as it's come.

Captain Marvel 15
I feel bad for the slew of books that follow the same release schedule as Captain America and Captain Marvel (which seem always to come out on the same week) because, instead of having a five slots available in this pre-game post, I end up with three. These two books seem always at the top of my list (which, granted, is alphabetical) and nearly impossible to crack through. Captain Marvel should be an incredibly interesting book this week as it's Carol's first solo book since the events of Enemy Within, which got a bit of a nod in Avengers Assemble but which will likely be more fully explored here. Big week for Carol and those around her as we see what the cost of defeating Yon Rogg really was on one of Marvel's most powerful and well-loved heroes.

Journey into Mystery 655
The final issue of Journey into Mystery will likely see the resolution of this most recent arc, with Sif trying to save Gaea and Beta Ray Bill trying to save Skuttlebutt. Admittedly, this probably beat out some other really deserving books because it's the final issue and I have a soft spot for that, but this book wholly deserves to be here. I loved Gillen's run back when this was Loki's book and I've really enjoyed Kathryn Immonen's run with Sif, a character I knew less about than Thor or Loki, maybe than any other major Asgardian. I think Immonen has brought out a great character and a few cool storylines in which to show her off and I'll be sad to see this one go. Don't get me started on the ramifications on female-led books and female-led books with female-led creative teams. Suffice it to say I wish this one was going strong after 655.

Thor: God of Thunder 12
This is Jason Aaron's first issue with Thor that will take place on Earth and likely have to do with Earthly things, or at least non-godly things. I mean, it still might. I'm going in with little knowledge on this except to know that it's set on Earth and that Gorr is dead so this officially kicks off the first arc not pertaining to that story (technically the Gorr story encompassed two arcs). The Gorr story was an interesting one for sure and it was well worth telling. It's gotten tons of praise from fans and critics and deservedly so. Now's the time to see what else Jason Aaron can do with the god of thunder. Should be interesting and worth talking about.

Young Avengers 9
Well geez, if Young Avengers is going to come out the same week as the Captains America and Marvel books we're effectively shutting down over half the board on the other books. YOU GUYS, I'm not even including New Avengers on this list and I LOVE New Avengers. That's how interested I am in these other books (and how sad I am about Journey into Mystery). Let's not even get into Fraction's final FF book, Avengers Arena, the penultimate issues of Astonishing X-Men and Gambit (ooh, Gambit as a character is in a rough way here, huh?), and the always-fun Scarlet Spider. Too much happening here that's good, which I suppose I shouldn't complain about. Anyway, Young Avengers is always stellar, constantly a book I put down with that giddy feeling that makes me love comics all over again, so I'll never not include it here (I've said that about New Avengers though, look how the mighty have not-really-fallen). Even if it wasn't a masterwork in plot and character and visual storytelling (it is all of those things) we left last time on a couple of CRAZY cliffhangers and I'M SO EXCITED THIS BOOK IS COMING OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment