Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Comics this week

Lotta big books out this week worth talking about so let's get right to it.

Daredevil 35
Just a bunch of fun, this book, so as we reach the penultimate issue of this run I'd say it's definitely one to keep an eye on. The last issue ended with yet ANOTHER cliffhanger that could call the fate of Foggy Nelson into question and that cliffhanger does NOT get any easier to read. Just as things are starting to look up for Daredevil with his strike right at the heart of the Serpents and his new re-girlfriend, will things take a turn for his best friend?

Miracleman 1
The 1980s massive title MIRACLEMAN is being reprinted for this digital age and I for one am excited to check out the reprint. Alan Moore kicked this one off as writer and if you don't know that name, you're probably not actually reading this blog (thanks for your support, though!). After Moore, Neil Gaiman took the reins of the book and Gaiman has agreed to finish the story when the time comes for it, so this is one to watch for. Beware though, Marvel is apparently dying to cash in on this book, with the regular cover issue (there are about a million variants that are no doubt more expensive) going for 5.99, two dollars more expensive than the typical higher price for an ongoing Marvel book (Annuals have lately been around the 4.99 mark).

Superior Spider-Man 25
In another money-grab move, the newest issue of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN will jump from 3.99 to 4.99 as we hit issue 25. The good news on this one, though, is twofold. One: this issue will be oversized so you may be paying more but at least you're also getting more. Two: this issue promises to contain a giant plot point that will be incredibly important to both the Spider-Man and Marvel Universe as a whole as the year continues. Thanks to the horrible necessary evil that are solicits, that news has been spoiled for a lot of readers (myself included, I add bitterly) but I'm not willing to spoil it here (until I review it probably on Thursday or, you know, whenever. Maybe Wednesday, if it's really that big).

Thunderbolts 20
Technically this is THUNDERBOLTS 20.NOW! but I don't really want to get into a rhythm of adding that to every book that has that designation (I sure didn't do it last week!). Anyway, should be a big issue for the extremely entertaining series as the new Ghost Rider joins the team. According to the solicits (I KNOW WHAT I SAID ABOUT SOLICITS, OKAY?), this Ghost Rider will be Johnny Blaze, the original Ghost Rider, and not the one who is on the verge of the release of his own ongoing (the new one drives a car!). Should be fun!

X-Men Legacy 22
The me-proclaimed best series of 2013 launches into 2014 before it reaches its conclusion and David is up against a big ol' fight. I really love this series and, while I'm depressed it's going to be ending, I take solace in knowing that the ending will be huge. I don't know if it will make me happy or sad or angry or what (I assume not angry, actually, because angry implies I don't trust Spurrier and I absolutely do) but it will be an ending and it will be different. Spurrier himself promised that it's not anything you could expect and that he "positively refuse[s] to restore the bloody status quo." Love that attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment