Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Comics this week

Very interesting week as I am bereft of any of my normal pre-game picks this week. That's right, no New/Young/Uncanny Avengers, no X-Men Legacy, no Captains Marvel nor America, no Hawkeye (still), no Daredevil, etc. So what do I pick on a week when the books are a little different? Well, still Iron Man, right?

Captain America Living Legend 1
Andy Diggle returns to the Marvel Universe for the first time since Shadowland and with him, he brings a top-secret Captain America mission. I like Diggle a lot and found Shadowland and the trek up to it pretty compelling (even if I found it dragging at points) and, of course, I love me some Captain America action. This is one I've known about for a while because Diggle has mentioned it on Twitter a fair amount and I'm interested to see what it's leading us to.

Fantomex MAX 1
Keen-eyed readers of this blog know that I love Fantomex. They may also know I go back and forth on MAX titles. Some are really good and are, perhaps, deserving of the MAX line. Fantomex seems like a character worthy of some MAX action (sex and violence are kind of both in his wheelhouse) and I'm looking forward to simply having a book, even if it's not set in the 616 as it is with so many of the MAX stories, dedicated to Fantomex. Should be a really good time.

Iron Man 16
Well okay, this is normally in my picks and it's coming out this week but really, it's still just one of five. I really love this series and I think each issue has managed to pull an even more emotional punch than the last. Of course, this storyline is winding to a close after a solid ten or so issues (more or less) dedicated to it. It's just as intriguing to see the finish as it was to get the beginning and, quite frankly, the middle. There's been a ton happening to the armored avengers and I'm excited to see what it all leads to, both in the immediate and in the grand scheme of things.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man 1
Unlike with Captain America Living Legend, I had no idea what this was until I looked over the new list of comics for the week. Real talk: I still am not 100% convinced it's a book I should be reviewing. For example, I don't review the "Marvel Universe" branded books that correlate to the cartoons or anything (as much as I loved Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes). I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be that but it's also been a long time since a true Marvel Knights book came out so I'm a little surprised if it's that idea again. Marvel Knights is kind of in the mid-range between the regular Marvel Universe and the MAX series, largely done away with because mainstream comics have gotten a bit edgier so there's less gap there. The teaser, though, calls Spidey "the Amazing Spider-Man" so I'm hoping we see a brief glimmer of Peter again.

Thunderbolts 16
I've really, really enjoyed this book since Charles Soule and Jeffte Palo took over on it. The tone has unquestionably changed and I think it's for the better. On top of that, the art and the writing seem in sync and the story for this Infinity tie-in has been both compelling and removed enough from Infinity, so far, that it doesn't feel like it's being forced on us. This issue is more likely to deal with the Infinity related stuff (just as last issue had a little more to do with it than the issue before that) but it's eased its way in just right so it feels like their true mission really is being interrupted by this, not that everything is ending and HEY, this is what the T-Bolts are doing. Really neat stuff so far, very much looking forward to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment