Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Comics this week

Considerably fewer comics this week and a handful of them are weird ones (AvX What If and Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers among them). Downside of a small week is that about half the comics coming out are on this list so there are a few I'm decidedly less excited about than, say, Red She-Hulk. Actually, strike that, there are definitely enough to be excited about. I like comics, you guys.

Avengers 15
I feel like Avengers has gotten a little lost in the shuffle here for me. I've really enjoyed Hickman's run and I've relished the way it doesn't talk down to its readers but, by and large, I like the other Avengers titles more. New Avengers and Uncanny Avengers have both jumped up to the top of my reading list, as has Young Avengers. Avengers Assemble and Arena are both delightful every time they come out and Secret Avengers...well, Secret Avengers so far is a bit weaker but also has ten fewer issues. But that's kind of kept me off of praising Avengers as much as I should. Solid book and it continues to show that Marvel is dedicated to keeping their biggest brand at this point complex enough to challenge readers.

Avengers AI 1
This actually kind of snuck up on me. Did you guys know it's July already? Because it was actually seeing this book on the list of new comics this week that made me realize how late into the year it is. Anyway, a new series always deserves a look and this one has a few interesting things going for it. As the Marvel Universe has gotten older, the AI in it has gotten more complex, both physically and, if I could be so bold, emotionally. Over the last couple years, we've gotten a few storylines that have revolved around robots or cyborgs or androids or what-have-you feeling threatened by humanity. We also had the interesting Age of Ultron 10AI last week that focused on Hank Pym, making him a bit more interesting as a team leader, which he will serve as here. Also this will be Monica Chang's introduction to the 616 (she's a regular over in the Ultimate universe) and I'm happy to report I'm pretty well caught up on the exploits of Victor Mancha after his Age of Ultron off-shoot issue went so poorly on this blog. There are possibilities here and Sam Humphries will take the reins to show us what those are.

Iron Man 12
Iron Man tends to slip my mind a little as a book because I've read years of Iron Man stories that have been pretty boring and it kind of slowed me on the character as a whole. Sure, I've mostly liked the movies and the last few years with the character have added a lot more depth but I still have a weird bias in my head against Iron Man books. But when I actually let my conscious brain make the decision, I remember that Kieron Gillen is writing an astounding Iron Man book right now and that I can't wait to read the next one. Last issue was absolutely brilliant and I'm encouraged by that and by the fact that Gillen doesn't really slow down. Exciting time to be an Iron Man fan.

Red She-Hulk 67
This is it, guys. Red She-Hulk has been cancelled by Marvel and this is the last issue for fans of the book. I know the fans are out there, I've seen them around the internet here and there. We all knew this book wasn't going to last purely for the subject matter. Red She-Hulk isn't a popular enough character yet to sustain a book but boy did Jeff Parker try. This has been one of the most fun books of the last year and it's sad to see it go. I'm excited to see what the issue holds in store for us after a chaotic and exciting story last issue that showed a world where Red She-Hulk was the only Hulk in the world. Solid storytelling, great characters, and wonderful development throughout. Hard to see it go.

X-Men Legacy 13
Is David on the right track after last issue's thorough win over the Red Skull, Darwin's Martyrs, AND Legion? David has let us know that he's not going to give up his powers, he never was, and that if there's a future that he's put in jeopardy, he'll solve it the way he is. From the start, his mantra has been "I rule me" and, after a handful of issues hiding from his various internal and external foes, he's living up to it again. This has been a phenomenal book and has really established the character David can be to the Marvel Universe. Si Spurrier is a heck of a writer and he seems to always know what he wants to say and how he wants it said. This is a rare book in that it's accomplished so much that it feels like we're years into the comic and, at the same time, it feels like there are so many places to still to go and that he hasn't even scratched the surface. Good time to be a David Haller fan, if you happened to be one before this (I have my doubts).

No comments:

Post a Comment