Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Comics this week!

This week is tricky for picking pre-game comics because we have 15 books and my five picks are all insanely obvious, leaving out other stories I'm excited about, like Superior Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men, to name a couple. But I can't ignore the fact that these five are the ones I'm looking forward to most.

Captain America 9
Hey guys, last issue ended with Sharon Carter shooting Ian in front of Steve. Like, Zola is ready to invade Earth with his mutates after he fights his own daughter and THAT'S NOT THE PART THAT MATTERS MOST. There's a lot happening in this book right now and Remender's done a tremendous job setting up the series so that all of this right now has real weight to it. Should be a tense one.

Hawkeye Annual 1
I love this Hawkeye series and I'll never be able to not pick it for this. It's just such a well-done book with such well-crafted characters and heart. Here we'll focus on Kate as she moves out west with Lucky. Since this happened with Lucky as our narrator, things are still a little hazy as to what happened but we've seen enough to have our guesses. Great book, very excited to see it so soon after the last book. Also, the format is switching soon to alternating between Kate and Clint every issue, which is super interesting to me. Aja will still draw Clint's adventures with Barney while I believe Annie Wu will be drawing Kate's half. Very cool.

New Avengers 8
Like with Hawkeye, I think I'm always going to pick this book for my top five. You all already have heard how much I love this book. I'm interested to see how this book interacts with Infinity and with the Marvel Universe at large. Should be pretty neat. Regardless, it's a regularly spectacular book and storms are gathering as the team works out new ways to protect the Earth from incursions, as Doom tries to earn more, and as Wakanda readies for war against Atlantis. Wow, I'm more excited than I even thought I was before writing that sentence.

Uncanny Avengers 10
I really like the way this series has progressed and I'm excited to see where it goes as we start to inch closer to confrontations with the Apocalypse twins and as the team gets more and more splintered. This book really is about the people far more than the plot, which is interesting because the plot is so intense right now. However, if this is just a standard Avengers team, we end up with just a standard action-filled book, which could be fine anyway, given the scale of this plot. With a team that's so internally complicated, we completely change the way the story is handled and the perspective it's placed in. Excellent book.

Young Avengers 8
The more I read for this title, the more conflicted I am by trying to name the best series Marvel has. Hawkeye? New Avengers? Uncanny Avengers? All phenomenal books with weight and tension and great characters. But Young Avengers feels like a different animal entirely. It's gorgeous, it's often ground-breaking, it's loaded with heart and character and story. It's hard to say what the best book at Marvel is right now and I'm very happy to say that. Thrilled for this book, as I am for the rest this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment