Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Original Sin 7

Original Sin 7
Aaron (w) and Deodato (a) and F. Martin (c) and Eliopoulos (l)

The Avengers have brought the fight to Nick Fury, who has just revealed to his pseudo-team that he had taken countless lives protecting Earth and gaining tech to protect Earth and hasn't exactly denied killing the Watcher. Fury, in his powerful suit, fights off the Avengers, using his knowledge and the secrets he learned from the Watcher to pick them apart, including overriding Iron Man's armor to send it back to Earth and telling Thor a secret that suddenly makes him unable to wield Mjolnir. Finally, he manages to extricate himself from the fight holding the two eyeballs and returns to the moon to bear witness to Watcher's last secret while a slew of other Watchers arrive.

As readers of this blog have probably realized, I tend to be wary of big events. I've certainly mentioned that fact enough, though I've also mentioned that I really liked CIVIL WAR and I think it still holds up pretty well. So while I'm wary, I do still root for the event to succeed because, in general, I like good stories and, in specifics, I run a blog wherein I review every major Marvel comic release and boy is it terrible when I have to review a book I don't like, particularly one that allegedly has major implications on the Universe and carries on for too many issues. Do you guys see where I'm going with this? It's not that this event has become unreadable or anything like that to me (sorry BATTLE OF THE ATOM and AGE OF ULTRON, you don't have company in that category), it's just...I don't know, kind of boring? It's also been, from the get-go, a sort of way to kickstart the universe. I very carefully am not saying "restart" or "reboot" or "reset" because it's very carefully not doing that. Instead, it's deus ex machinating (I had written machina-ing and autocorrect suggested machinating and I actually liked that better, thus providing me the one time autocorrect improved something) a way to drop a bunch of stories into a universe already overwrought with continuity. I'm not even REALLY begrudging it that because I can't imagine how hard it is to break through that continuity sometimes. I'm just begrudging that it's still kind of boring and it's carried on probably four issues too long.

Total Score: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment