Monday, September 23, 2013

Comics this week

Fewer comics this week but not by too many. The risk here is that I kind of want to pick all four Avengers related books this week but I also kind of don't? I'm still on the fence about it. While cross that bridge when we get to it. Not too too many standouts for pre-game but plenty of could-be-hits coming through. Also, Infinity surges on as we get another three or so tie-ins. So does Battle of the Atom and Jason Aaron has a chance to show his side of this story. Rumor has it this is all his brainchild so he has an awful lot to answer for in my book. FUN FACT: that one will not make this list.

Avengers 20
This is the biggest Infinity book this week as it's not merely a tie-in, it's billed as a full-fledged part of the event, as each Avengers and New Avengers title has been. This event has, as I've remarked time and again already and will no doubt continue to remark, really surprised me with the true scale of it and the tension and characterization it's brought. I'd love to see more of that characterization, particularly in books like Avengers where they may have more space to do it, but the event is still mostly holding its own. This will be the first Avengers issue since Carol and team were rescued, meaning that soon everyone's bound to know of J-Son's betrayal. Should make for some good reading. Also, bad news non-Avengers/non-Infinity fans, I've decided I'm going to end up choosing four Avengers books in this top five. Don't blame me, they're just putting out really good Avengers books right now (and not so great X-Men books right now).

Avengers Assemble 19
I've talked recently about how Kelly Sue DeConnick has, for all intents and purposes, turned me around on Spider-Woman. I always saw her in the worst light, someone underpowered and typically underprepared and angsty for angst's sake, who managed to get on Avengers teams the entire Bendis era. Now, between this book and DeConnick's Captain Marvel series, she's become someone whose powers are a bit more meaningful (she can control Hulk, guys) and who has more of a real personality, both stronger than we'd seen before and seemingly entirely her own in this big Marvel Universe. It's with that in mind that I chose Avengers Assemble 19, another issue that will follow Spider-Woman in Infinity as she fights alongside her team to rescue Carol's, a team she's not so sure about but which she should be really sure about. I'm even looking forward to this book despite the fact caught-up readers will know what's going to happen. Weird, right? No, just a good book.

FF 12
This just now got the call to be on this list. It was between this, Nova 8 (which I'm not necessarily super excited about but which I think has a chance to solidify itself a little better under Zeb Wells, although I think the plan is for a third writer to hop on soon), Scarlet Spider 22 (Grim Hunts abound!), and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up 3 (I just like it, okay). FF wins out partly because Fraction is leaving the book so abruptly, due to his schedule, and because the series as a whole has been a lot of fun, maybe even a little unexpectedly. I'm hoping it will continue to stay fun but this is kind of a choice to say "just in case this is our last fling." Also, the story should hold up on its own, as we have a squabbling replacement-F4 mixed with some children who may be hanging out a little too much with Maximus the Mad for their own good. Fun stuff.

Uncanny Avengers 12
I feel like it's been so long since we've gotten one of these and it's been a reliably good book. I'm happy to have it out this week, and am thus including it on this list, because I can't help but think fondly on it. I think it's slowed a bit since it's incredibly powerful and moving first couple of issues but it's maintained a fairly high level of quality and it still has a big old plot going on right now. Plus I think Wolverine is technically dead right now and that merits a check-in. No one seems to like to beat up Wolverine more than Rick Remender, who constantly put him in the absolute worst position in X-Force (usually charred to a crisp or ridden with every disease all at once) to open the door for the other X-Force members to shine. Anyway, big stuff happening, plus the potential return of Kang and the Red Skull, as I think this issue might be more of an origin story for the Apocalypse Twins. I kind of hope it's not just that, though, as there's really too much happening right now to not want to see it all.

Young Avengers 10
Because of course Young Avengers 10. Do I even have to write this post? I love this book. Wholeheartedly. It has really not made a mistake in my mind. You guys know what I'm talking about, right? If not, go pick up the issues or the first trade, at least ("Style>Substance"), or just search for Young Avengers on this blog, okay? It's great and you should just be reading it or listening to me gush about it. I really didn't need to write this. OH MAN, and Leah's going to be back and the cover for this one has a burning Loki costume and WHAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment