Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Comics this week

As has been true a couple times already this year, this is a big week for new releases and for releases just starting out. Look for a slew of number ones, twos, and threes this week, most of which make up this list.

Loki: Agent of Asgard 2
I liked this first issue and I've liked the turnaround on Ewing's MIGHTY AVENGERS. I'm still skeptical that this Loki will be able to sustain a series but I would have said that before Gillen's JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY too and that was amazing. So this is me being cautiously optimistic and recommending checking out issue two of LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD in the hopes that Ewing can pull off a solid story with the character.

Magneto 1
Of all of the new releases, this is one of the ones I'm most doubtful of. Magneto, while obviously a very interesting and compelling character, has not ever been able to sustain a book. I'm not sure his chances are particularly improved by the writing of Cullen Bunn, who similarly has not really been able to sustain a Marvel series (though I thought he did a fine job picking up the reins from Remender on VENOM). Like LOKI, it seems like this will be a somewhat more black ops book for a one-time great villain whose alignment is questionable (though I fully expect LOKI to be more lighthearted). Could be fun, could be slow, I guess we'll see.

Moon Knight 1
Of all of the new releases, this is one of the ones I'm most confident about. Moon Knight is a very cool character and one I know Warren Ellis will enjoy playing with, Ellis is a great writer who can certainly do the detective/crazy angle pretty well (for as short as it was, I loved his time on SECRET AVENGERS and particularly his time playing with Moon Knight on SECRET AVENGERS), and Declan Shalvey is a phenomenal artist as much as Jordie Bellaire is a magnificent colorist. Very excited for this one, one of those times where all of the pieces are in place and you can't understand why it took so long to get around to it.

New Warriors 2
I said in my NEW WARRIORS 1 review that I trust Yost to do solid work and that his first issue planted a lot of seeds that I think he's going to have fun with and that are overall good moves. I thought the first issue did a lot of good work with pacing and establishing characters so I'm looking forward to seeing what Yost does to move forward and what better place to go from number one than to number two? Stellar move, guys, just stellar.

She-Hulk 2
This was another number one that I found myself liking a lot. I'm one hundred percent on the Charles Soule bandwagon at this point, as it took him maybe one issue to turn THUNDERBOLTS from a series that had started to bore me despite what I saw as near limitless potential into a book that absolutely destroys every time out. She-Hulk's first outing was fun and really character-driven without making things too tense or trying to thread too much story into one book. It was a great mix of fun and frustration and character moments that really set a tone for this new series. I'm looking forward to where we're going next.

No comments:

Post a Comment