Sunday, June 2, 2013

This week's picks

Short week for comics this week and kind of a weird one. I'd say most of these books were fine and good reads, but I don't know how many totally stand out. PLUS SIDE, at least three of them do and that's all I need!

Captain America 7
I kind of can't get over how good this book is. I love the perspective on Cap and I love the humanity of Cap, which is something I feel like I haven't talked about enough. On top of the fact that we're seeing Steve as a father and dealing with the issues his own father left him with, we're seeing Steve in pain and struggling. Granted, he's in pain a fair amount in comics, as are most superheroes, but he's noting his pain so frequently. Constantly he'll get hit or take a fall or something and he'll instantly diagnose himself (it's been happening since issue one too) with what's wrong and he'll keep pushing through. That's kind of a difference from most other hero books, where you'll see a hero take a big hit, then just get up or struggle to his or her feet or something and keep on fighting. After a few big ones, the drama of "oh he/she must be really hurt" sets in, but here it's amplified by the fact we know EXACTLY how hurt Cap is ninety percent of the time and we see him continue to stand back up. It's absolutely perfect for his character in every aspect; he falls but he never succumbs, he bends but he never breaks, he's not the same level of power as Hulk or Thor or something but he never seems weaker, and, to a less defining but equally understandable extent, he can self-diagnose in a heartbeat. It's a near perfectly written Steve and, as if the story wasn't compelling enough to keep tuning in for (it is), it's worth reading just for that.

Fury MAX 12
It's sometimes hard to do a "this week's picks" because saying that implies that my subjective way of viewing books is worth listening to and is similar enough to what everyone's view is or what everyone's view SHOULD be. Usually I can get over that because I know, in my heart of hearts, that the books I've chosen are phenomenal and no one should be disappointed by them, in the very least. Of course, people still will be because that's how humanity functions, but I'm over that. However, this is a strange pick because it's probably the one of the more polarizing books I've chosen for this segment throughout the last six months. For action fans, there's not a lot of action. For fans of quick and snappy dialogue driven books, there's almost none of that. For fans of happy endings or beginnings or middles, there's nothing much to choose from here. For people who don't like swears or violence or a touch of nudity, this book won't really land. For people who don't want discussions of America's shady involvement in Nicaragua and similar areas of possible communist aggression or discussions about politics and Congress, this book is not a fun one. However, the weight this book puts on Nick Fury and the hopelessness Fury feels, a feeling he is not used to, is so palpable and so heavy that it would have been hard for me not to pick this book. Fury's very well characterized and his struggle is so hard to look on and to deal with that it adds such a layer to his character and to this world that I wouldn't have been able to look away from it. The art, which I wasn't sure about at the start of this series, has proven so perfect for the subject and the tone that it's a near perfect book, if you're looking for strange things in a book and none of the things I mentioned above. So I recommend this book knowing full well that many people would not like this book. Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend it anyway and I'd sure hate to be remiss.

New Avengers 6
Have I mentioned that I adore this book? It turns out I have, almost non-stop. There's such a weight to this series and to these characters and it all ties back in, in a great way, to Captain America, which is why Hickman so adeptly utilized him for the first few issues. These are characters who are abnormally strong in different ways, whether it's with their powers or their intellects or their convictions, and they're being tested in all of those ways in what is essentially a no-win scenario. The problem that this team had with Cap being there is that Cap bends but doesn't break, the same characteristic that makes his solo book (and almost all of his other appearances) so compelling. In a lot of situations, he won't even really bend. The problem this team is facing (they're never referred to as the New Avengers so I'd almost rather call them the Illuminati still but the BOOK is the New Avengers so it seems like I SHOULD still call them New Avengers but that also seems like a marketing ploy since there's almost no reason for them to be called the New Avengers and they're seemingly more secret than even the Secret Avengers and...you know what, this doesn't matter. Let's just get back to what I was saying) is one that requires them to make horrible and inhuman choices to save their world and there's no way around that, at least not yet. Namor constantly points out that these heroes want a way to have everything, a safe two planets, but that there isn't any way to have that. They have to bend and break. Cap wouldn't have been able to, as they all well knew, so he had to be removed from the team. What a devastating book this is that the first order of business was removing the conscience of the team. By the same token, though, what a phenomenal book to read where they know that's exactly what they've done.

Best Panel:
I don't necessarily love picking the best cover or panel from one of the books that I chose as a "best" book, even though that kind of logic follows to a certain extent. However, this panel from New Avengers took a tone that was already dark and shifted it to be just a bit darker and to really focus on the people under the masks in such a simple and elegant way that I felt like I needed to highlight it. Of course, I'm also a big fan of Epting's art and I love the way that D'Armata colors this book. From issue one this book has felt like, in all departments, it knows what it wants to be and what it needs to be to be successful. This panel is just another example of that, as Hickman manipulates the characters and Epting manipulates the view of the characters and D'Armata manipulates the tone of the scene all aimed at making us see the book they want us to see. Brilliantly done.

No comments:

Post a Comment