Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Comics this week

Geez, the one week I'm not around, 20 books stack up? And 20 LARGELY really good books? Well that will at least make for an easy top five books, right? It'll just make for a very difficult tail end of the week if I end up trying to review everything. I might mess with the order of usual things, you guys. OH WELL, the pleasures of being your own boss, I suppose (the downfalls are largely in not getting paid).

Cable and X-Force 7
This book is always a solid choice. Dennis Hopeless is doing a great job across the Marvel Universe with both Cable and X-Force and Avengers Arena. This book has exactly the feel it should, with problems constantly looming over X-Force's shoulder but with the expertly chosen team mostly able to deal with things. There are still setbacks and problems, sure, but by and large it's safe to trust Cable to pick a team that meshes well together and that can get the job done. I'm excited to see whatever fallout will come between Cable and Scott, who always seem to have reasons to be mad at one another.

Captain America 6
Cap has taken drastic action in removing the Zola from his chest, which shows how dedicated he is to getting Ian back. We've also seen Ian in action, pretty capable himself, and now we've seen his sister, who is more brutal and seemingly a bit more effective. She too had some questions for Zola by the end of the last issue, so I'm looking forward to seeing where allegiances will lie by the end of this trip to Dimension Z. We came so close at the start of last issue to returning Steve and Ian to the 616 and now, with those plans seemingly on hold, it's going to be interesting to see how long it's going to take Steve to make his move there and who he will (or maybe who he won't) bring with him.

Captain Marvel 12
Are you not reading this book yet? It's a great book, guys. Start picking it up and assume I'm recommending it every week, even on weeks it's not coming out. The pressures on Carol are starting to pile up and she's never had a worse time for that as now she's incapable of flying. This issue is only ONE AWAY from the first Captain Marvel issue of the Carol Danvers-centric "Avengers: The Enemy Within" mini-event that will span Avengers Assemble and Captain Marvel through July. That makes 12 an instrumental issue in setting things up and closing some things down, potentially, with this new arc. I'm also a little disheartened to learn that there is no new issue of Captain Marvel in May for whatever reason (maybe to make way for the one shot "Avengers: The Enemy Within" title) so get your last official Captain Marvel issue before June THIS WEEK.

Daredevil 25
Just as pressures are piling up on Carol Danvers at a particularly inopportune moment, so too are pressures piling up on Matt Murdock. There's someone pulling some devious strings that Matt is a little too busy right now to deal with. On top of representing a major case without Foggy that could have some serious repercussions into Matt's life, his best friend and law partner Foggy Nelson is in treatment for cancer. Add to that the fact that some of the devious strings being pulled include Matt's recent run-ins with the Spot and Coyote and all the botched-Daredevil experiments and Matt has to be nearing a Shadowland-esque level of stress that he hasn't faced since...well, since Shadowland. And we all know how that went. I have a giant poster hanging above me AS I TYPE THIS that tells me how that went. There are a lot of weapons in various heroes and very few in the particularly demonic looking Daredevil and in the present members of Hand. So that's how that went.

X-Men Legacy 9
Another book that I'm almost always excited about and that BOY I sure hope people are reading. With the recent news about Winter Soldier's cancellation (paired with the news of X-Treme X-Men and Age of Apocalypse) I worry for X-Men Legacy's safety. It's a really great book but it's also a really challenging and thoughtful book that might come off as kind of "out there" which features a main character who isn't necessarily the most popular in Marvel's stable. It worries me is all. And really, it's another spectacular book with a conceit that I'm always intrigued by and excited to read more about. It feels like literally just about anything can happen at any time. On top of that, I think David's approach to his father's dream is an intrestingly new perspective, somewhere in the range of X-Force but with more sense and logic behind it. Good stuff all around.



I'll certainly miss posting the next couple days as those are days that I'll need to actually have read the books to make posts, so my apologies. Maybe before I leave I'll come up with a couple little posts just to have something. Also, maybe I won't. I'll return Friday with a couple posts, hopefully. Much love, as always, to all of you who have ever come to this blog for any reason. I've been floored the last couple weeks with the responses I've been getting (which are probably pretty modest for websites but which are really incredible for me, who never expected any traffic on this site). Thank you to everyone again and, again, I love you all. Read Marvel, you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment