Tuesday, January 8, 2013

This week's posts

Good god, there sure are a bunch of comics coming out this week.

People may have noticed that I started this blog hot on the heels of Amazing Spider-Man 700 because the idea of a comic review blog had been bouncing around my head and I had things to say about that particular issue and the happenings of the Marvel Universe as a result. That came out the day after Christmas and was one of two releases. The next week's (this past week's) new releases came out the day after New Year's. There were more releases than two, but not a normal release schedule.

This week, there are, by my count, about 16 books I aim to review. We'll see if I can get my hands on them and if I can actually review them all in time for them to be posted (ideally, yes). If I keep to a loose schedule I have in my head, that'll mean about four reviews a day, so I apologize in advance for how much scrolling you'll have to do on each post.

My initial thought about today's post was that I'd give a quick pre-game rundown of every book. BAD IDEA, there are 16. Let's say, then, what I'm looking forward to most this week, perhaps to inflate my expectations so much that I can quickly deride anyone that doesn't exactly match it.

Avengers Arena 3
As anyone else who picked up the first issue, I'm kind of ensnared. I'm not sure I'll love it all the way through going forward, but BOY did they hook me. Looking forward to seeing the new characters, the older characters I don't know, and the few in this series I do know.

Fantastic Four 3
I like Fraction. This is also the first issue where the team, I have to think, will actually be exploring. I'd like to see how that pans out for Marvel's first family.

Secret Avengers 36
Crap, is this the last issue of Secret Avengers before it gets NOW!ed? I think it is. I'm acting under the assumption it is. Well that's reason enough to be excited.

Superior Spider-Man 1
Who isn't anxious to see this book? If you're a comic fan and you're not at least a little intrigued as to how this will play out, you're not doing it right.

Thor: God of Thunder 4
This book has been overwhelming so far. Strong three issues with a lot of good character building, smart writing, and engaging story. Also gorgeous art.


As for when I'll review specific books, first consideration has to go to when I actually get them. Assuming I'm able to get them all in the timeframe I'm hoping for, I tend to arrange by a hierarchy that only my brain knows and doesn't tell me about ahead of time. It's usually based on book popularity, a need to discuss it, and my own feelings towards the book or characters. If a book is a number one, I'm likely to review it earlier, or if it will have ramifications on other books or the Universe, or if I just REALLY want to talk about it. Look, it all comes together, okay? See you this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment