Monday, June 23, 2014

An apology - and some reviews and picks

My friends, my followers, people who clicked on this link completely by accident (who even ARE you?): You are owed an apology. I missed a couple posts this week (as I've not so subtly been hinting, that may be happening more often lately as I'm away from my computer more and more often). I had been traveling to a wedding a ways away and spending some time with family which is NEVER AN EXCUSE FOR NOT REVIEWING COMICS. I'm kind of kidding. Those who understand blogs likely have guessed that I don't make money on this blog (not for lack of asking for money) and so it often has to take a backseat to actual life events. Still, this is something that I like to do and I've been astounded to find that some people even seem to like to read. As such, I'm going to continue to make a concerted effort to update as regularly as possible. There may be changes coming soon but for now, I'm going to try to keep running things as smoothly as I can. AS FOR THE MISSING REVIEWS...


Iron Patriot 4
Still moves pretty well, this issue finds Rhodey unable to fight back against his captor, determined to kill the ex-president, but Lila and Rhodey's father are still capable of retaliation and manage it somewhat nicely. 4/5

Nova 18
An ORIGINAL SIN tie-in finds Nova discovering his friend the Watcher has died and trying to seek his killer for revenge. His search brings him to New York and he (sort of) assists in the fight against Exterminatrix and The Orb, getting caught up in the truth bomb and learning that his dad maybe wasn't so righteous as he'd hoped. Lots of drama with Sam and some really fun writing as we see a few team-ups happening in the background. 5/5

Wolverine and the X-Men 5
I'll be honest (because I'm tired): I still rather don't know what's happening in this book. Quire doesn't believe he and Evan will be forced to kill each other some day, Fantomex protects the World from Honest John, and Storm returns to the school to stop John's attack dead. Moves rather well, seems pretty spirited even if it's a little hard to follow. 3/5

Ultimate FF 3
This book has been cancelled due to POOR SALES AND NOT AT ALL DUE TO SOME TERRIBLY STUPID RUMOR SPREAD AROUND BY BLEEDING COOL. It will end with issue six (sadly, due to a sickness, issue six wasn't even written by Fialkov). Anyway, this issue was okay, I think the book overall is trying really hard to be something but it's getting a little stalled and now, obviously, it won't have that chance to save itself. 3/5



THIS WEEK'S PICKS

Daredevil 5
This book is great, you guys. Get on board with it if you somehow haven't already. Nice look from Waid this time at some of the anger stored away in Matt and at how he's living his life these days. Plus, it's just a nice book to look at.

Elektra 3
Look, this book's real pretty. I think it's a really interesting story and there are nice looks here and there behind the curtain at Elektra (I was legitimately taken aback when she referred to Daredevil as "Matthew" in this issue) so the character and the story certainly isn't hurting this series but I really like this art, you guys.

Thunderbolts 27
I recognize that maybe I'm coming in with a bit of an Acker/Blacker bias here but this issue was really fun and refreshing, nice to see that the spirit of the book will carry even as the creative team changes. Edges out NOVA, which was also a heap of fun, and AVENGERS WORLD, which continues to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment