Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Comics this week

Bunch of books out this week and I'm excited about some of them. Less excited about some others. BREAKING: Marvels review blog calls some comics better than others! I know, controversial. QUICK HITS!

Avengers 23
It feels like we haven't had an INFINITY book in a little while, which is particularly interesting as it felt like we were getting INFINITY books every week or so until we hit the final stretch. This is the last one until INFINITY 6, which will likely tie it all up, and this one will put the Avengers back on Earth. Big things.

Thunderbolts 18
I liked the last issue well enough but I thought it did slow down this arc a bit. I'm looking for something of a bounce-back as Charles Soule's triumphant first arc on THUNDERBOLTS ends. I've really liked the change of tone in this book and, though I'm sad this seems to be Jeffte Palo's last book with the team, I'm excited to see how the arc winds down.

X-Men 7
Now that we're apparently clear of X-Men related events for the moment, we have another chance to evaluate this book. There's been a bit of drama concerning writer Brian Wood over the last week and it feels disingenuous to not mention it; Wood has been accused by comics artist Tess Fowler of making a pass at her and then, upon her refusal, threatening her with blacklists and the like (note: that link has some language to it). These are extremely serious accusations and hard to comment on without all the facts. For his part, Wood has released a statement on his website that I hope is accurate but, like I said, it's hard to make comments without the full story. There's been talk of boycotting his books in response but that a.) seems knee-jerk particularly if it's untrue and b.) hurts far more people than just Wood, including the strong women working on these books. Man, I don't know. Anyway, big issue for this book?

X-Men Legacy 20
The battle against the evil Xavier has only just begun and it seems like maybe a fight David should be involved in but we left last issue with the distinct impression that he might be the good side's first kill. I love this book and I'm excited to see how David stands up against the shadow of the Phoenix, particularly when he's not exactly working at full power. Should be fun.

Young Avengers 12
With the depressing news last week that YOUNG AVENGERS will be ending after issue 15, the last few books of this incredible series have a bit of added meaning to them, particularly knowing that the last two issues (14 and 15) will be the after party, presumably meaning this story will end after just two more issues, including this one. Even if it wasn't ending, I'd be picking this book because it's just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment