Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Comics this week!

Sorry about the no-post yesterday, busy day piled on a lot of tiredness. I guess we'll have to save Spider-Man's Get Kraven for another day.

Fantastic Four 5AU and Superior Spider-Man 6AU
I'm mildly interested in this actual story and how it's going to tie-in to everything, particularly as it's hard to see where Age of Ultron fits into the regular Marvel Universe, but I'm almost more interested in the simple designation. This is issue 5AU. It's a tie-in to both books, in theory, that isn't necessarily a part of Fraction's story over in F4. It's like a .1, but tying into two books. Superior Spider-Man is like that this week as well so I've cheated and combined the pair to illustrate why I'm intrigued. It's nice because you can pretty easily stay organized if you're trying to collect the whole event but also avoid it without feeling particularly cheated if you are subscribing to either individual book but not the event. Interesting move from Marvel and I'd like to see how it reads.

Guardians of the Galaxy 1
I'm admittedly quite wary about this book, as anyone who has heard my feelings on Brian Michael Bendis recently probably knows, but the .1 was pretty good and Marvel has to be making a push with these characters as they have a movie arriving in 2014. The movie announcement was completely out of left field but the team is a good one and it's an interesting choice to expand this Universe. Hopefully it has something to say and actually goes about saying it. It worries me that it's a team book because that's when I tend to have the most problems with Bendis but it also has, for my money, one of the best Skottie Young variants to come out of Marvel NOW! (though they've all been great)

Uncanny Avengers 5
I can't express enough how much I've enjoyed this book. Now, with their first arc kind of in the books, we'll see where this team goes from here. The story from the first arc is clearly far from over but the Red Skull disappeared so the team is going to have to move on or investigate or both. The cliffhanger of the last issue left some ominous directions for this book to go in and I recently received a promotional mini-poster for Uncanny Avengers 6 that has Thor in battle with a full-grown Apocalypse and, since receiving it, I've been blown away by the idea that we have ONE ISSUE to get to that story. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS ISSUE?

X-Men Legacy 8
Just a great book. Consistently. My girlfriend read one of the most recent issues after inadvertently skipping a few a couple days ago and I caught myself getting giddy explaining what was happening to her. It's nice when a book that you've been reading and that you have recognized as good still gives you some level of surprise in just how good it is. It's still in that tumultuous time, though, where the book is establishing itself (on all levels, but specifically in how it will read after the first arc) so I'm interested to see how the flow catches. Will Spurrier do a number of one-part stories or will he do one-parters that tie everything into an arc eventually or will he start into an arc soon? All kinds of questions.

Young Avengers 3
Last issue did a lot of fun things playing with the medium and I'd expect nothing less going forward. Gillen and McKelvie have worked together on independent projects (and a couple Marvel team-ups) for years now and it shows. It's neat to have a book written and drawn by people who already have a great rapport because there aren't any growing pains. A lot of new series have to find their rhythm as writer and artist figure out each other's strengths and weaknesses. This book just dove right in because Gillen and McKelvie are so attuned to that already and they clearly care about the work and have fun doing it. I'd imagine we'll get even more Young Avengers in this issue (instead of just Loki, Billy, and Teddy). Everything's working out already but it's even more exciting to see how it will all flow together.

No comments:

Post a Comment