Sunday, March 3, 2013

Picks this week!

Pretty phenomenal week, even if it was a little more intensive than I'd thought. Normally there are about two books I'm set on picking and a third I have to decide when I write this. This week is a little different in that there are three books I'm set on picking but, if these top three hadn't come out this week, I have a slew more I would have felt great choosing from. This week was pretty top heavy in terms of quality. It ranged more good than bad. I can't be upset about that.

Uncanny Avengers 4
I'm getting the sense that this book might start making regular appearances on this list. The team is solid, the characterization flows, the plot is incredibly compelling, and the villains are equal parts real and more horrible than anything alive today. It's hard to really put into words. But even little touches, like having Wanda speak a little more like an English second language character (she's from Transia, one of Marvel's go-tos for eastern European and twin brother Pietro has always come off a little as a second language guy, but I've never felt that same pull with Wanda before this book) just in her word selection and emphasis. It's a great little touch because it made me think about the character for an extra second and say "oh hey, this makes total sense and I really like the decision." Things like that really add to the book for me. Frankly, this book didn't NEED adding to, but it stands out nonetheless. Great book. Time to get onboard, everybody.

Young Avengers 2
This one didn't make my top picks the week it premiered because I wanted to honor another book instead and I figured YA 1 was going to do well enough on its own. However, it's time to honor this book now. Beautiful art, interesting story, wonderful toying with form and ideas going on. It's an all-around solid book. I'm also happy to see Gillen writing Loki again. He developed such a specific personality throughout his Journey into Mystery run and, regardless of what you interpret about the end of that run, I'm thrilled Gillen gets to keep working with him because he already knows that personality. It's also exciting because Loki always thinks himself smarter than everyone but he needs more people who either care about that intelligence or will try to challenge that intelligence or are not about just brute strength. For this personality, it's nice when he's with Thor but his best partners are people who he knows can think on just about his level but he refuses to treat that way. Anyway, a lot to like in this book. Excited as the series moves forward.

Hawkeye 8
This book will continue to make my list, as it has in the past and as it will going forward. It's just such a solid book. Aja's art continues to be gorgeous, as do Hollingsworth's colors, and Fraction's writing for all characters continues to be quick and funny and fitting. The feel of this one was a bit different but certainly still fantastic. Framed by Annie Wu's full page romance comic covers, the book took its own personality and story. It was pretty phenomenal. We're also set for some good characters moments as Spider-Woman is now aware of Cherry's existence and a bit less happy with Clint as a result. Hopefully we get the same cast we glimpsed this time around in the coming issues (Black Widow, Mockingbird, and Spider-Woman) as Clint's personal life gets more and more complicated. Also, as Fraction pointed out in his breakdown of this week's issue, Aja chose to make it retro night at Avengers Mansion so all the women are cast in a very specific light and it is delightful. Little touches like that make this book shine all day long. Fantastic week.

No comments:

Post a Comment